Friday, May 15, 2009

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield

Read in May
406 pages
Margaret Lea works in her father's antiquarian bookshop where her fascination for the biographies of the long-dead has led her to write them herself. She gets a letter from one of the most famous authors of the day, the mysterious Vida Winter, whose popularity as a writer has been in no way diminished by her reclusiveness. Until now, Vida has toyed with journalists who interview her, creating outlandish life histories for herself - all of them invention. Now she is old and ailing, and at last she wants to tell the truth about her extraordinary life. Her letter to Margaret is a summons.
I had never heard of this book until my good friend Kathryn sent me a box of books that just so happened to arrive on my birthday, though I don't think she actually planned that. Thanks so much Kat for the books!!! I picked this book out because it was the only hardback in the box and I was strangly drawn to this book. Once I started it I was hooked. The book is rather British, which was fine with me. I LOVED every part of this book. I loved the twists and turns and what I like to the the WTF twist towards the end. Bravo Diane Setterfield for writting this wonderful story! I am actually sad to have finished the book and not hear any more about the Angelfield family. I found the relationships in the story to be very dark and twisted and rather disturbing, but I loved them all, no matter how dark and twisty they were. It's a ghost story, mystery, a sisters story. Everyone should read this book, it's a GOOD story!
Links:

No comments:

Post a Comment